Wet Tropics Community Housing

Community Housing

What is Community Housing?

The Community Rent Scheme Program (CRS) is funded by the Department of Housing & Public Works and is an initiative of the Queensland Government. It was established to assist social housing applicants living on low incomes who are experiencing severe and immediate housing need. The CRS program provides rent subsidised housing in properties that are head leased from the private market.

CRS is NOT crisis accommodation or emergency housing. Transitional housing is a form of social housing assistance for people in very high or high need. Transitional housing is not long-term housing. The purpose of transitional housing is to help you stabilise your circumstances so that you can move on to more appropriate, long term housing, in the private market or social housing within a 2 year period.

The Housing Manager will notify the Housing Service Centre area office of all vacancies. The area office will then refer prospective tenants from the One Social Housing System waitlist to ensure fair and transparent allocations for all clients.

Eligibility – Applicants must:

  • Complete the Application for Housing Assistance form (Form 7) 
  • Meet the Social Housing Eligibility Criteria.
  • Have a very high or high and urgent need for housing assistance, and
  • Be an approved applicant on the Department of Housing & Public Works housing register.

For further information on eligibility:

Social Housing Eligibility Criteria and Applications for Housing Assistance (Form 7) are available from our office at 2/28 Rankin Street or can be downloaded from the Department of Housing & Public Works website: www.hpw.qld.gov.au

Rent Payments

  • The amount of rent paid is determined by the combined gross assessable household
  • Tenants pay up to 25% of income as rent plus rent assistance.
  • If the household income decreases or increases, so does the rent.
  • Most tenants are eligible for rent assistance from the Department of Human Services.
  • Rent can be paid in various ways and will be discussed at sign up.

Tenancy: When housing becomes available:

  • If you are referred to Wet Tropics Community Housing, you will be contacted by us
    for an interview.
  • You must inspect the premises with the Housing Manager prior to accepting any
    offers made. You will then have 48 hours to inform us of your decision.
  • You will be required to pay 2 weeks rent in advance and we charge a bond of 4
    weeks. You can apply for a bond loan through the Department of Housing & Public Works.

What will happen during your transitional housing tenancy:

At the start of your tenancy the housing provider will work with you to develop a Tenancy
Plan. The Tenancy Plan is a written document that helps you and our Housing Manager to

  • The barriers you are facing to access and sustain long-term housing.
  • The support services you are receiving, or if you are not receiving any, whether there
    is an opportunity for you to receive some support.
  • The best long-term housing option for you and how you can work towards that.
  • Any tenancy-related issues that you may need to work on with us.

The Tenancy Plan will be reviewed and updated throughout your tenancy.

Wet Tropics Community Housing

  • has a clear commitment to the rights of tenants and to provide respectful, fair and nondiscriminatory service.
  • We aim to provide safe, affordable, secure and appropriate housing for all eligible clients.

Where to find us:
Level 2/28 Rankin St Innisfail (opposite post office)
Office Hours: Mon – Fri 8.30am – 5.00pm


My location
Get Directions


Wet Tropics Community Housing Community Rent Scheme
Phone: 07 40616388
Fax: 07 40612205
Mobile: 0429 616388
Email: wettropics@innisfailyouthfamilycare.org

Innisfail Youth and Family Care Inc.

Innisfail Youth and Family Care Inc.